Requirements for Completion of CCCC Visual Litter Survey (VLS) Curriculum
- Attend VLS Launch Seminar (January 30, 2018 – six (6) credits).
- Attend one of three regional workshops (February 13, 14, or 15, 2018 - six (6) credits each).
- Read and be prepared to discuss the 2004 Visual Litter Survey.
- Conduct at least one VLS/Cleanup between March 1 - April 30, 2018 (the number of credits assigned will vary based on the length of the event).
- Submit the required final written assignment by June 1, 2018.
- Implement a solution to the litter problem you observe during your VLS/Cleanup and file a report online (deadline: December 31, 2018.).
- Attend the year-end VLS wrap-up event to celebrate the accomplishments of the first round of Certified VLS Coordinators (date to be determined/optional.)
Policies and Procedures: The Visual Litter Survey (VLS)/Cleanup
Clean Communities Coordinators must serve as Team Captains and--
- Establish the purpose or goal of the VLS/Cleanup.
- Determine the location(s) of the VLS/Cleanup.
- Determine the method(s) you will use to conduct your VLS/Cleanup.
- Organize a team of staff and or volunteers to assist you.
- Register the VLS/Cleanup online at njclean.org.
- Conduct the VLS/Cleanup.
- File the VLS Report Card online at njclean.org.
- Submit the Final Assignment.
- Implement a solution to the litter problem.
In addition, Team Captains must:
- Solicit staff and/or volunteers to assist in the survey.
- Train of staff and/or volunteers.
- Ensure that staff and/or volunteers sign the required waiver forms.
- Instruct staff and/or volunteers on the project safety procedures and ensuring that all procedures are followed throughout the project.
- Distribute supplies and equipment.
- File a VLS Event Registration Form online at njclean.org at least two (2) weeks before the event.
- File a VLS Event Report online at njclean.org within two (2) weeks of the event and
- Supervise the VLS/Cleanup, ensuring that participants adhere to policies and procedures.
VLS/Cleanup Equipment and Supplies
- Trash bags (orange/opt.)
- Recycling bags (clear)
- Pick up sticks (optional)
- Safety Vests